Jan 6, 2009
Here are the events:
Sunday, January 18th
President-elect Barack Obama will kick off the schedule of official inaugural activities in Washington, D.C., with a welcome event on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday afternoon. The event will be free and open to the public.
• Sunday's concert at the Lincoln Memorial, featuring Beyonce, Bono, Bruce Springsteen and other stars, is scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m. ET. Gates allowing access to the area open at 8 a.m. ET. (A recording of the show will be broadcast nationally at 7 p.m. ET.)
Latino Inaugural Gala
Date: January 18.
Location: Union Station.
Time: 7:30 PM.
Hosts: Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI), the Democratic National Committee Hispanic Caucus (DNC), National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials (NALEO), the National Council of La Raza (NCLR), and Voto Latino.
Program: The event will feature performances and entertainment by Marc Anthony, Alejandro Sanz, Lila Downs, Angelica Vale, and others.
Food and drink: Hors d'oeuvres and limited open bar with beer, wine, Champagne and a signature cocktail.
Ticket price: $200.
Tickets are available here.
Black Tie & Boots Inaugural Ball
Date: January 19.
Location: Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center.
Time: 7 PM.
Host: Texas State Society.
Theme: All-things Texas. The centerpiece of the event: A Texas State Fair with vendors from the state on hand selling everything from boots to belt buckles to Texas wines.
Program: Texan performers, including Tracy Byrd, Jack Ingram, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Kevin Fowler, Dale Watson, and more, will put on a country-music extravaganza.
Food and drink: An open bar and Texas-inspired hors d'oeuvres will be available all night long.
Ticket price: $225 for TSS members; $300 for nonmembers.
Tickets are available here.
• Monday's "Kid's Inaugural: We are the Future" concert at the Verizon Center begins at 7 p.m. ET. Doors open at 5 p.m. ET. The Jonas Brothers are among the entertainers at that show. (The Disney Channel will broadcast from the event, starting at 8 p.m. ET.)
The Southern Inaugural Ball
(Regional Inaugural Balls)
Date: January 20.
Location: Throughout the city.
Host: Barack Obama and Joe Biden.
• The Eastern Inaugural Ball, for guests from Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, will take place at Union Station.
• The Mid-Atlantic Inaugural Ball, for guests from Maryland, Virginia, DC, New York, New Jersey, and West Virginia, will take place at the Washington Convention Center.
• The Midwest Inaugural Ball, for guests from Kansas, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Missouri, will be held at the Washington Convention Center.
• The Southern Inaugural Ball, for guests from Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas, will be held at the National Guard Armory.• The Western Inaugural Ball, for guests from Alaska, California, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Oklahoma, and Guam, will be held at the Washington Convention Center.
Ticket price: $150.
Tickets will be available to invited guests.